A gourmet dish of spicy mashed potatoes and shredded chicken, garnished with egg and vegetables, causa rellena makes for a great meal or afternoon snack. This afternoon, for my third weekly cooking lesson at Amigos, the acclaimed chef Ricardo (of tiradito de pescado fame) showed a small group of us how to prepare causa rellena. He did most of the cooking, we did most of the eating. Here's how you do it.
- 1kg papa amarilla ("yellow potato" — if unavailable outside Peru, find the nicest potatoes you can in your area)
- Vegetable oil
- 4 small chilis (2 ajis amarillos, or "yellow chilis", and 2 rocotos, or "red chilis")
- 3 limes
- 1 chicken breast fillet
- 1 tspn mayonnaise
- 5 celery sticks
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 4 black olives
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes, and boil until cooked (don't peel yet).
- Slice the chilis in half, and remove the seeds from the inside (dispose of seeds).
- Cut the fat off the chicken breast, and boil the chicken until cooked.
- Boil the chilis until soft.
- Wash the celery, peel off the outer skin, and finely chop.
- Take chilis off the stove, drain, and peel off skin.
- Take potatoes off the stove, drain, and pull off skin while still hot.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Blend the chilis (ajis amarillos) with a splash of vegetable oil. Then blend the other chilis (rocotos) separately, also with oil.
- Shred (i.e. tear apart) the boiled chicken breast.
- Hard-boil the eggs until cooked.
- Put the mash in two bowls (½ in each). Mix the rocoto paste, the aji amarillo paste into the other. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper to both bowls, and mix thoroughly.
- Mix the shredded chicken, celery, mayonnaise, and some more salt and pepper in a big bowl.
- With each olive, cut the olive off from the seed, and finely slice.
- Peel skin off avocado, and chop most of the avocado into small pieces (chop some into bigger slices).
- Wash and finely chop the parsley.
- Take off the eggs, and peel off the shells.
- In a medium-sized, shallow container, place rocoto / potato mix, chicken mix, avocado and aji amarillo / potato mix in layers, and empty out onto the plate in a mound.
- Garnish with chopped egg, olive, parsley, and avocado.
- Resistence is futile. You know you gotta eat it without delay.
Note: sorry, no photos / videos this week, as I forgot my camera. I'll post links to other people's photos if they get put online.